How to Remove Audio from Videos Before Posting to Instagram
Last Updated on March 20, 2023 by Wong Ching Ya
Videos with sound are common on Instagram. However, there are times we wish to remove the sound or audio from our video before showing it to the public.
This is completely different than muting a video on Instagram. What I meant was to remove the sound from the video completely before publishing it.
For example, you may want to add music to your Instagram Story without any background noise. Or simply, allowing people to view your video without the existing audio or soundtrack that comes with it.
Thank goodness it’s not difficult these days to make this happen. You can do it all on Instagram, but you do need to know where to tweak the settings.
Remove Audio before Posting Video to Instagram Story
- Choose your post type: Create Story
- Choose your video in “Add to story.” Look for the audio icon in the tools on top. Click to mute the video.
- Continue by sharing the video with your audience. The video will stay muted, even if people try to unmute it.
Remove Audio before Posting Video to Instagram Post
Note that video posts are now shared as Instagram Reels. That is, if you only post videos, whether or not you choose them for your Post, they will be shared as Reels on your Instagram profile.
The only difference when you’re choosing “Post” instead of “Reel” when posting your video is that the latter will allow you to trim your video before adjusting the audio. The rest is pretty much the same.
If you’re happy with your video length, either choosing Post/Reel will get your video to be shared with followers, or appear in places like Reels, where anyone can see it.
So here, I’m going to share the steps when you’re posting the video as one of your media files (a compilation of pictures and videos) in one Instagram Post.
- Choose your post type: Create Post.
- Select your media files, including the video, to add to your Post. Look for the audio icon and click it. Now the video sound is off.
- Continue by sharing the video with your audience.
Remove Audio before Posting to Instagram Reel
- Choose your post type: Create Reel
- Select your video to add to your Reel.
- If necessary, edit your video by trimming it. If not, just leave it as it is. Click “Add” in the upper right corner > Next
- Look for the music icon and click it. In the Camera audio settings, move the slider down to zero. Click Done.
- Continue to share your video with your audience.
There you have it! These may seem easy, but there’re not that straightforward if you ask me.
However, I’m glad we don’t need a third-party app/tool just to remove the original sound from the video clip.
- 15+ Lesser-Known Instagram Tips, Features and How-To’s You May Have Missed
- How to Change Page Name, Username and Facebook Access (and MORE) in New Page Experience
- How To Comment As Your Facebook Business Page On Other Facebook Pages
- How To Add Official Facebook Page To Your Personal Profile
- How To Separate Your Facebook Page From Personal Profile
- 15 Practical Ways To Protect Your Facebook Profile From Facebook Page
- How To Find Your Pending Friend Requests (And Sent Requests) On Facebook
- How To Connect A Facebook Group To Your Facebook Page
- 100+ Creative Twitter Headers For Your Inspiration